List, Frank:

On Dec 12, 2015, at 11:16 AM, Franklin Ransom wrote:

> That effect of the smoke is in some sense part of what it is to be smoke.
> Going beyond the part of the real that we perceive, and grasping it as a
> whole, requires the whole work of understanding. But while the percept is not
> "smoke itself", i.e. is not the whole of the object, it is nevertheless as
> much a part of smoke as it is a part of the perceiver.

While I concur with these sentences, I would ask further of your views:

What is the nature of the coupling between the smoke and the "whole" of the
experience?

If "whole work of understanding." implies a coupling of external events with
internal processes, then what is the nature of the grammar the generates the
coupling of the parts of the whole?

Is smoke a unit?  Is a precept a unit?

Do you consider this part - whole coupling to be "mereological in character"?

Just curious.

Cheers

Jerry