Jeff, list,

Peirce does say, in paragraph 539 from Vol. 4 of CP, that "[t]he Immediate
Object of all knowledge and all thought is, in the last analysis, the
Percept". When you ask whether the percept is the smoke itself, or a visual
impression, I think this statement from Peirce implies you are right that
Peirce would lean toward the latter conclusion. However, I do not think
this is necessarily a fair way to put the matter. It seems to me that while
we can directly perceive the real, such perception does not mean that we
immediately understand it as a whole; for that understanding, we require a
concept of the real that is perceived, and perceptual judgment is an
instinctual attempt at applying a concept. The way I would state the matter
is that the percept, while not the whole of the real object, is at least in
some sense a part of that object, which we find ourselves immediately
related to by way of physiological processes, as the eye is affected by, in
the supposed example, the smoke (plus light, other percepts, etc.), and so
comes to visually perceive the smoke. That effect of the smoke is in some
sense part of what it is to be smoke. Going beyond the part of the real
that we perceive, and grasping it as a whole, requires the whole work of
understanding. But while the percept is not "smoke itself", i.e. is not the
whole of the object, it is nevertheless as much a part of smoke as it is a
part of the perceiver.

-- Franklin