Gary R, Gary F, Edwina, Jeff, List,

You wrote:

*GF*: I don’t see why you prefer the term “parameters” to Peirce’s term
“trichotomies."

*GR*: For one thing, there are so many 'trichotomies' in Peirce's semiotic,
and very, very many more in his mathematics, science and philosophy (Peirce
even thought that an entire 'art', *Trichotomic*, might be developed around
these myriad trichotomies) that to  distinguish this particular trichotomy
from the other semiotic trichotomies I have found it helpful in my own
thinking to see what it is doing, its function, in relation to the 'bigger
semiotic picture' involving the other trichotomies. Finally, there's no
need for me to reiterate that *this particular trichotomy of
trichotomies *(i.e,
the 9 types of signs; my addition) *in my view merely prepares for the
classification into 10 signs and cannot stand on its own as representing
possible signs.*

(*A*)  I finally understand why Gary R refers to the 9 types of signs of
Peirce as the "parameters" that are necessary for constructing the 10
classes of signs, because the definition of the signs given by Peirce (see
below) is not a usual word-based definition but a *parameter*-based
definition (i.e., a parametric definition) since it depends on three free
parameters, *A*, *B* and* C, *whose *values* are constrained to be one of
the 9 types of signs.

*"30 - 1905 - SS. pp. 192-193 - Letter to Lady Welby (Draft) presumably
July 1905 .*

So then anything (generally in a mathematical sense) is a priman (not a
priman element generally) and we might define a sign as follows:

A "sign" is anything, *A*, which,

(1) in addition to other characters of its own,

(2) stands in a dyadic relation Þ, to a purely active correlate, *B,*

(3) and is also in a triadic relation to B for a purely passive correlate,
C, this triadic relation being such as to determine *C* to be in a dyadic
relation, µ, to B, the relation µ corresponding in a recognized way to the
relation"

Retrieved from http://www.iupui.edu/~arisbe/rsources/76DEFS/76defs.HTM on
12/23/2015.
(*B*)  One example of a *parametric definition* is shown below, which is
the definition of *complexity* given by M. Burgin in *Super-recursive
Algorithms*, Springer, 2005, New York/Heidelberg/Berlin, which encompasses
most if not all currently available definitions of complexity in the
literature.  The definition of complexity given by Burgin involves three three
parameters, *R*, *P* and '*resource*', which can assume various VALUES as
you can see below:

“…if we analyze what does it mean when we say that some system or process
is complex, we come to conclusion that it is complex to do something with
this system or process: to study it, to describe it, to build it, to
control it, and so on. Thus, complexity is always complexity of doing
something. Being related to activity and functioning, complexity allows one
to represent efficiency in a natural way: when a process has high
efficiency, it is simple and when a process has low efficiency, it is
complex. For example, we can take time as a measure of efficiency: what is
possible to do in one hour is efficient, while what is impossible to do
even in a year is inefficient. There is a corresponding measure of
computational complexity that estimates time of computation or any other
algorithmic process.

*Definition 5.1.5.* *Complexity* of a system *R* is the amount of resources
necessary for (used by) a process *P* involving *R*.

There are different kinds of involvement.

*P *may be a process in the system *R*. For example, *R* is a computer, *P*
is an electrical process in *R*, and the *resource* is energy.

*P *may be a process that is realized by the system *R*. For example, *R*
is a computer, *P* is a computational process in *R*, and the *resource* is
memory.

*P *may be a process controlled by the system *R*. For example, *R* is a
program, *P* is a computational process controlled by *R*, and the
*resource* is time.

*P *may be a process that builds the system *R*. For example, *R* is a
software system, *P* is the process of its design, and the *resource* is
programmers.

*P *may be a process that transforms, utilizes, models, and/or predicts
behavior of the system *R*.

In cognitive processes complexity is closely related to information,
representing specific kind of information measures.”

(*C*)   A simple combinatoric consideration leads to the conclusion that
there are 9^3 = 729 possible ways of assigning the 9 types of signs to 10
classes of signs, but, as we well know, Peirce selected only 10 out of 729
based on some rules he had in mind apparently rooted in the ordinal
relation among the three categories, i.e.,1ns, 2ns and 3ns.  So far so
good: Every Peircean would accept this characterization of mine.  But the
continuing debate is about the NAMING of the 9 types of signs -- to some
the 9 types are not signs but just short-hand notation of the 9 relations
among R-R, R-O and R-I in the 3 modes of being of Firstness (1ns),
Secondness (2ns) and Thirdness (3ns), to others the 9 types of signs are
all signs no further differentiation of them being necessary, and to still
some others the 9 types of signs are the potential *values* for the three
*parameters*, A, B, and C, appearing in Peirce's *parametric definition of
the sign *(see *A*). These diverse views are summarized in the following
table:

*Table 1.*  The postulate that the 9 types of signs are the potential
values for the the parameters, A, B and C, that appear in Peirce's
parametric definition of the sign.

*Peirce*

*Gary R*

*Gary F*

*Taborsky*

*Ji*

9 Types of signs

*9 Types of signs*

*Parameters* for 10 classes of signs

*signs*

*Not signs* but the R-R, R-O &

R-I relations in 3 modes of being, i.e., 1ns, 2ns, and 3ns, where

R = representamen;

O = object; and

I = interpretant

*elementary signs*;  each of the 9 types of signs is the *name* for (or a
*sign* referring to) one of the 9 relations, i.e., the R-R, R-O and R-I
relations in each of the three modes of being, i.e., 1ns, 2ns and 3ns.

10 Classes of signs

10 Classes of signs

parameters

signs

signs

composite signs, each composed of 3 elementary signs, just as each baryon
is composed of three quarks held together by the strong force*

Rules of producing 10 classes from 9 types

Firstness (1ns) precedes Secondness (2ns)  which in turn precedes Thirdness
(3ns)

Same as Peirce

Same as Peirce

Same as Peirce

i ≤ j ≤ k in Sijk  which is the general formula for the 10 triadic signs
with

i = interpretant,

j = object, and

k =representamen*.

*For a detailed explanation of the quark mode of the Peircean signs, see
[biosemiotics:46] dated 12/26/2012 or Semiotics of Life available at
conformon.net under Publications > Proceedings & Abstract, pp. 65-71.

(*D*)  It should be pointed out that, just as a baryon is composed of three
quarks held together by the *strong force*, so the quark model for the
Peircean sign assume that the three elementary signs are held together
within each of the 10 triadic signs by *a new kind of force* variously
referred to as the "*semantic force*" and "*semiotic force*", but I would
not object to a third possible name, i.e., the "*Peircean force*", for the
force acting among the 9 types of signs producing 10 classes of signs based
on his phenomenological categories of Firstness, Secodness and Thirdness.

Again, Happy Holidays and a Healthy, Happy and Productive 2016  for every
body!

Sung

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 3:26 PM, Gary Richmond <gary.richm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Gary F, list,
>
> Yes, it appears that we continue to disagree on this matter of
> terminology, and especially since I don't believe it is merely a matter of
> our possibly different analytical purposes, although that is no doubt part
> of it and may even be at the heart of it.
>
> For now I'll just comment on one of your interleaved paragraphs which for
> me at the moment suggests what I see as our most significant disagreement,
> and I'll try to get to your other comments at a later date as we seem to
> have some disagreements there as well. (I'm breaking your paragraph up a
> bit.)
>
> You wrote in the first part:
>
> GF: This indicates to me that you are taking the difference between
> nominal and adjectival forms as an ontological distinction which Peirce
> does not make. For Peirce, an iconic sign is an icon, a rhematic sign a
> rheme, a symbolic sign a symbol, etc., regardless of whatever other
> classifications it may belong to.
>

> GR: It may be that in the segment of NDTR that you are forcusing that "For
> Peirce, an iconic sign is an icon, a rhematic sign a rheme, a symbolic sign
> a symbol, etc., regardless of whatever other classifications it may belong
> to." But it is precisely that way of speaking, which is another kind of
> shorthand for the particular purposes of his analysis at that point and in
> that context, again, it is that shorthand, stripped of its *specific
> context* of illustrating the possible trichotomies of relations possible
> for S/O/I that has caused confusion for a number of folk, the result, as
> I'd earlier noted, of conflating the aspects of the three
> trichotomies--which are *not*, as I will continue to argue--signs
> themselves, but, in a kind of "mix and match" *will* together generate
> ten sign classes (which, btw, are not themselves 'real' signs at all until
> they are 'embodied' in some actual semiosis; which is also to say that, as
> with the three trichotomies you've been considering, the 10 classes are a
> mere *analytical abstraction*, albeit at another level than the
> trichotomies).
>
> If, as you wrote, "an iconic sign is an icon, a rhematic sign a rheme, a
> symbolic sign a symbol" (although using 'sign' in these phrases already
> begs the question), then we have such cases as these:
>
> (a) Signs (in the classes 8,9, and 10 of the classification) are all both
> symbols and legisigns. Now, while that is true in one sense, and we can
> properly--and frequently do--refer to the argument, the dicisign, and the
> rheme as 'symbols', considering for the moment just sign 8, the rheme, if
> all "rhematic signs" (to use your terminology) are 'rhemes' "regardless
> of whatever other classifications it may belong to," then the rheme which
> is a symbolic legisign might appear to be merely one of six such signs, and
> it loses the special position it *rightly* has in our thinking and
> [...]

Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
Piscataway, N.J. 08855
732-445-4701