Gary R,

Having read your subsequent message, I’m looking forward in the new year to
further explication of your schema of the ten classes of signs. So I think I’ll
wrap up this thread with a few questions that I hope your new thread on the
subject will answer. Mostly I’m just asking for definitions of the terms used
in your analysis, in the hope of understanding it better. I do think
definitions of these terms are needed, especially for terms that are also used
by Peirce, because if you don’t supply them, folks like me will assume that you
are using them in the same way that Peirce did, which (as we’ve seen) will only
cause more confusion.

In the case of the three trichotomies which you refer to as “this particular
trichotomy of trichotomies,” I’m not sure whether you meant “this triad of
trichotomies,” or are claiming that the three ‘parametric’ trichotomies
represent a division of something else into three. (Or maybe you’re just
rhetorically elevating the status of this triad, as in the expression “King of
Kings”?) If you do regard them as a trichotomy (in the way that
icon/index/symbol is a trichotomy of the possible relations of the sign to its
object), then I’d like to know what it is that this meta-trichotomy divides
into three.

Another term you’ll need to define is “involution.” Where Peirce uses this term
— notably in “The Logic of Mathematics” (c.1896) — it is implicitly defined by
being paired with “evolution,” for instance in CP 1. 484: “The general law of
quality, as distinct from the classificatory system of quality (of which we can
have but a fragmentary knowledge), has three clauses, relating respectively to
single qualities, to pairs of qualities, and to triads of qualities. The first
clause is that every quality is perfect and in itself such as it is. The second
more complex law is that two qualities have one or other of two sorts of
relations to one another; namely, they may be, first, independent of one
another, somewhat resembling and somewhat differing from one another, or
secondly, one of them may be merely a further determination of the other, this
latter being essentially the first of the pair in the order of evolution, or
synthesis, while it is the second of the pair in the order of involution or
analysis.”

In other words, if quality B is merely a further determination of quality A,
then evolution, or synthesis, proceeds from A to B, while involution proceeds
from B to A, reversing the process of determination. This is what we would
expect considering that evolution is a noun formed from the verb evolve and
involution a noun formed from involve. This usage is also consistent with
Peirce’s use of “involve” in NDTR, where a sinsign “involves a qualisign,” an
index involves “a sort of Icon,” a “Dicisign necessarily involves, as a part of
it, a Rheme,” etc. The implication would be that the order of evolution
proceeds from rheme to dicisign, and the order of involution from dicisign to
rheme, which seems clear enough as applied to the semiotic process of
determination.