Jon A, List,

Your excellent quote

". . . . the Interpretant, or Third, cannot stand in a mere dyadic relation
to the Object,            (122915-1)
but must stand in such a relation to it as the Representamen itself does."

indicates that the Interpretant is triadic as well, just like the
Representamen is.  But in the following quote I cited yesterday, Peirce
said:

" . . . (A, or a sign; my addition) is also in a triadic relation to B for
a purely               (122915-2)
passive correlate, C, this triadic relation being such as to determine
*C to be in a dyadic relation, µ, to B*," (emphasis added)

*30 - 1905 - SS. pp. 192-193 - Letter to Lady Welby (Draft) presumably July
1905 .*

So then anything (generally in a mathematical sense) is a priman (not a
priman element generally) and we might define a sign as follows:

"A "sign" is anything, A, which,

(1) in addition to other characters of its own,

(2) stands in a dyadic relation Þ, to a purely active correlate, B,

(3) and is also in a triadic relation to B for a purely passive correlate,
C, this triadic relation being such as to determine C to be in a dyadic
relation, µ, to B, the relation µ corresponding in a recognized way to the
relation Þ."

Retrieved from http://www.iupui.edu/~arisbe/rsources/76DEFS/76defs.HTM

Statements (122915-1) and (122915-2) are clearly contradictory, just as the
following two statements are with respect to the ambiguous picture, P,
shown in Figure 1:

"A is a lion and not a cat."
                                       (122915-3)

"A is a cat and not a lion."
                                       (122915-4)

[image: Inline image 1]

Figure 1. An ambiguous picture. retrieved from the Internet.

But in reality

"A is both a lion and a cat."
                                                    (122915-5)

It seems to me that there are two possible explanations for the seeming
contradiction revealed in Peirce's writings, (122915-1) and (122915-2):

(i)  Peirce contradicted himself.
                                  (122915-6)

(ii) Peirce (most likely unknowingly or unconsciously) prescinded
           (122915-7)
the dyadic aspect of the triadic sign.

Possibility (ii) is consistent with what I called yesterday the "Peirce
uncertainty principle" (PUP) or "Semiotic uncertainty principle" (PUP) in
analogy to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.   I now suggest that a
stronger version of PUP or SUP would be

"*All signs are ambiguous to varying degrees*."
                                    (122915-8)

which may be referred to as the "Sign Uncertainty Principle" (SUP)

where the letter S is ambiguous.

All the best.

Sung

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 10:28 PM, Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Edwina, List:
>
> Is it not the case, at least according to Peirce, that the
> interpretant-object relation is necessarily the same as the
> representamen-object relation?  If so, then there is no need for a separate
> trichotomy to characterize it.
>
> "A Sign, or Representamen, is a First which stands in such a genuine
> triadic relation to a Second, called its Object, as to be capable of
> determining a Third, called its Interpretant, to assume the same triadic
> relation to its Object in which it stands itself to the same Object.  The
> triadic relation is genuine, that is, its three members are bound together
> by it in a way that does not consist in any complexus of dyadic relations.
> That is the reason that the Interpretant, or Third, cannot stand in a mere
> dyadic relation to the Object, but must stand in such a relation to it as
> the Representamen itself does." (EP2:272-273)

> www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt - twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt
>
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 7:14 PM, Edwina Taborsky <tabor...@primus.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> John, list:
>> That's an extremely interesting suggestion, that the 'third relation' is
>> that between the interpretant and the object. I have trouble with that, as
>> the 9 relations (parameters according to Gary R) which are differentiated
>> in terms of the modal category, do not refer to this interpretant-object
>> relation.
>>
>> They refer to the representamen-in-itself, which I consider to be a
>> relation-of-depth (providing an evolved over time generalization/set of
>> habits); then, to the relation between the representamen-object; and the
>> relation between the representamen-interpretant.
>> I consider the representamen, which must act as 'mind-mediator' a vital
>> relation, bringing its informational depth to deal with the R-O and R-I
>> transitions.
>>
>> But the interpretant-object interaction - is it a relation? What mediates
>> this interaction? I'm not denying its importance, for objective
>> referentiality is vital to validate our experiences - otherwise we live
>> within a purely rhetorical, fictional world detached from reality.
>>
>> Edwina

Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
Piscataway, N.J. 08855
732-445-4701