Jon - I see the representamen as 'Being thus connected with three things, the
ground, the object, and the interpretant" 2.229.  These, in my view, are the
three relations. The representamen is the key agent, for ALL three of these
'connections' or relations must involve the representamen.

There is the representamen "as it is in itself' (and we have three terms for
its nature as it is in itself: qualsign, sinsign, legisign) 8.334.  And, the R
"in respect to their relations to their dynamic objects" 8.335 (icon, index,
symbol); and the R 'in regard to its relation to its signified interpretant"
8.337 (rheme, dicent, argument).

I see the R-O and R-I relations as providing breadth, while the R-R relation
provides depth. The Representamen is a key agent/function in the semiosic
process; it is not a mechanical transference of object data to interpretation.
It is the ground, the evolved set of habits, the knowledge base of the system
in which semiosis is taking place. It transforms input data from the object via
its knowledge-mediation...to result in an interpretation.  As Peirce writes, "a
sign mediates between the interpretant sign and its object" 8.332 -
understanding the first term of 'sign' here as the representamen. Without this
key process that is the role of the Representamen - our world would have no
habits of organization, it would be pure randomness. And as Peirce also pointed
out, these habits evolve...

As Peirce wrote in the quote you provided, there are THREE nodes:
representamen, object, interpretant.

Now, the interaction between the Interpretant and the Object is not, to my
view, within the first basic triad. Note that it does NOT involve the
Representamen - which I consider a necessary semiosic process. It provides a
necessary inductive reference whereby the Interpretant does not stand alienated
from objective reality but must - not necessarily now - but at some time in the
future - reference that object truthfully. How does it do this? By generating
more triadic signs; that is, the Interpretant generates more triadic signs.

As he points out, the I-O can't be a dyadic relation; and it can't mimic the
R-O relation....Instead, the Interpretant "must be capable of determining a
Third (Interpretant) on its own, but besides that, it must have a second
triadic relation in which the Representamen, or rather the relation thereof to
its Object, shall be its own (the Third's) Object, and must be capable of
determining a Third (Interpretant). All this must be equally be true of the
Third's Thirds and so on endlessly..EPp 273.

The way I read this, is that the Interpretant, a result of that first basic
semiosic triad, then generates more triads - thus, involving the Representamen
- and more Interpretants, to arrive at, in some future time, the truth of the
Object.

Edwina