Correction:

In my last post I wrote "Your order here (result/rule/ergo case) was also
recently suggested by Jon S as a possible 'inversion' of rule/case/result
for abduction."

But, now I recall that Jon S gave the opposite order, ie. case/rule/result
and remarked that it is the reverse of the categorial pattern for inquiry
(which is correct). In my categorial vector theory I refer to the order,
case/rule/result, as the vector of aspiration, and the one Ben gave, of
result/rule/case as the vector of process (I often note that both inquiry
and biological evolution follow this order according to Peirce). Adding
these 2 to the 3 Peirce gives in the bean example, we have 5 of the 6
possible categorial vectors, the remaining one being Hegel's dialectical
order. This is not to say that I'm at all sure that all these five
definitely represent inference patterns. GR

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*
*Philosophy and Critical Thinking*
*Communication Studies*