Gary F., List:

Gf: Now I’m seeing the limitations of your hypothesis that ALL human
endeavor is rooted in dissatisfaction. It seems to ignore more positive
motivations such as curiosity, participation and playfulness in all its
forms. The quest for knowledge can be much more than an escape from a state
of dissatisfaction.

Although I mainly had in mind the irritation of (genuine) doubt, it seems
to me that curiosity, participation, and playfulness can all be understood
as forms of dissatisfaction.  The quest for knowledge would cease
altogether if everyone were truly satisfied with the current state of their
knowledge.

Gf: But discovery of principles *in nature* — including the nature of
conscious purposes as a specialized subset of final causes, or natural
purposes — is, for any philosopher, ethically privileged over manipulation
of any kind, because self-control depends on it.

I am not sure that I follow this.  How does self-control depend on the
discovery of principles in nature?  Where and how do we draw the line
between what is "natural" and what is "artificial"--i.e., the result of
human manipulation?  Why should "natural" purposes always be "ethically
privileged" over human purposes?

Gf: The status of engineering as a *profession* (as opposed to a
*discipline*) is a sociological issue, and I wasn’t trying to say anything
about that. There’s nothing in the nature of the *discipline* that stops a
professional engineer (or a client, or a manager!) from taking a scientific
or philosophical approach to the matter at hand.

Understood, I was just prompted by your comment to point out an
often-overlooked aspect of engineering practice.