>”I haven’t seen it argued recently except to note that the way to Quantum
>Mechanics might have been more straightforward if Einstein hadn’t come up with
>STR.”

Sadly, I suspect that STR/SGR constrains development not only in quantum
mechanics. It impacts on the science narrative and provides license for all
sorts of flawed assumptions and unfalsifiable speculation, for example,
astronomy (e.g., big bang theory, black holes, etc). It’s baggage that the
sciences don’t need.