Steven Jarosek confuses BF Skinner with JB Watson but also misrepresents Watson:
Skinner did not use rats but pigeons and human subjects, his own children in
his famous Skinner nox.
Watson did his PhD with the white rat, but at Chicago used a large variety of
animals for ethnographic observations and at Johns Hopkins is most famous for
his experiments with infants, e.g., the Little Hans experiment.  After leaving
Hopkins because of his affair with his assistant, later his wife, he went into
the advertising field where he revolutionized the way grocery stores were
organized, using open shelves and checkout counter displays of small items to
encourage impulse buying.  He also revolutionized radio and in turn modern TV
advertising by using loud, jarring and speeded up voice tracks to get
listener's attention and capture their impulses to respond.  That is, he
"experimented" on vast human subject populations.

I find this whole line of religious spiritual anti-scientific and anti-
rational propagandizing to be inconsistent with exploring Peirce's work and
views or attempting to criticize and modify them.  In the process, Peirce as a
human with faults and follies is ignored as is his relation to contemporary
pragmatism.

Harold L. Orbach
Emeritus, Kansas State University
PhD, University of Minnesota

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 22, 2016, at 10:52 AM, Stephen Jarosek