>"A good book for you to read if you truly want to understand the processes DNA
>is central to: Life on the Edge, by Johnjoe McFadden and Jim Al-Khalili."

Ah yes, now I remember why I was disappointed when "Life on the edge" first
came out. I had been following JJ McFadden for some considerable time, and had
been awaiting their book with eager anticipation. But once it came out, it
became clear to me that their implementation of quantum physics into biology
was inspired not in the spirit of establishing consistency across principles,
but rather, in the mechanistic (reductionist) approach of finding all the parts
that fit together. Like the parts comprising an engine, or pieces from a jigsaw
puzzle, quantum mechanics provides new parts to mix and match. Their
incorporation of quantum mechanics into things like photosynthesis and bird
migration remains, at its core, deterministic/mechanistic reductionism, but
with a bit of quantum woo thrown in to account for linkages that don't link.
Their approach still fails to establish the inevitability of life and its
ability to persist across time. The entropy problem remains unaddressed.

But that's just my opinion, gleaned mostly from online reviews and websites. In
the end, I concluded that the book was not for me, and decided not to buy. To
be fair, some of their examples looked interesting and might merit a closer
look, but I lost interest quickly once I picked up on the book's direction. The
book has received positive reviews, so interested folk should make up their own
minds.

Cheers, sj