Gary F.,

yes i agree, Peirce reading of the history of science is based on the idea that
we are standing on shoulders of giants.

But i doubt the revolt against authority hypothesis. Take for example Galileo,
he never revolted against the church. He was deeply rooted in the tradition of
christian natural philosophy. And the catholic church of the middle ages was
quite tolerant towards natural philosophy. Galileo referred to this tolerant
tradition in his defense. The intolerance against natural philosophy was
something new and was a product of the church internal war between jesuits and
dominicans. In this view Galileos ideas were the battle field but not the
source of the battle.

Or take Newton as another example. Did he revolt against tradition? No, he was
deeply rooted in the hermetic tradition and most of his work is dedidicated to
alchemy. The close relation between his work on gravity and his alchemical work
has been shown by history of science.

Newton as an alchemist shows that there was already a tradition of
experimenting. Lots of it esoteric, but also proto-scientific or already
serious chemistry. And were Galileos instruments constructed without
experimenting?

Also many of the great scientist wanted their discoveries in accordance with
their christian faith: Galileo, Newton, later Darwin and also Peirce did so.

Yes, the whole world view changed in the 16th century, but it is not that easy
like the modern revolutionaries that rebell against authority on one side and
the outdated antimodern on the other side. Knowledge production in that time
was a complex web of social relations in which a complex set of ideas
circulated.

I know your not making it that simple (your comment about the source of the
hypothesis) but many people in science still believe in the founding myth.

Putting the said above in the context of the original exchange between Olga,
John and Gary my point is that when we look closer the sharp line between
science and non-science gets blurred. I think it is important to keep the
difference between the organizational borders of the sociological phenomenon
science, the individual scientific skills (scientific craftsmanship like
statistics, experiments etc.) and the scientifc ethos in mind. In my opinion
the ethos is the most important whether someone is within an scientific
organization and has scientific skills or not, because the latter are neither
necessary nor sufficient conditions.

Best
Stefan