Stefan, list:

I think you’re right that we may learn something about reasonableness by
asking an analogous question, “what is…a fool”.  It is to ask and be aware
of what we are doing when we ask the Socratic “what is…?” question.

Yet, are we not being foolish by thinking we can add to the meaning of *the*
fool by starting from scratch with no guidance as if no one else has asked
and asserted on the notion before?  The assumption being made on a Peirce
list ought to be to speak for *everybody* on the meaning of *the* fool.
That is, the intention is to persuade others on a matter of common
conception through reasoning.  This is what we do for *the* scientific
method.  Yet, there is this great multiplicity when we should expect only
one.  So, are we being foolish or are we just expressing our nature?  It’s
fun to ask and answer “what is…”, is it not?  Is it not in our nature to do
so?

You said, “Or, abduction, induction, deduction and the combination of them
is so universal that even the idiots make use of it.”

Yes, there is the trivial business of distinguishing one, two, three; by
which I mean abduction, deduction, induction.  It is universal and even
idiots make use of it.  But this is not a theory intended for the
individual, as that is too complicated.  It is a method for a community to
adopt at the outset. Therefore, the better question is what makes
abduction/deduction/induction good or bad, not whether there is such a
thing and whether idiots make use of them.  It appears at least Peirce has
settled the matter of its universality.

You said, “P.S. @Convergence of truth: Do we know the mightiness of the
icon? Can truth converge when the universe itself evolves?”

I believe that is the question being raised in fallibilism/convergence.
Perhaps the answer is not addressed in your assumptions.  Perhaps we ought
to look to others for guidance.

“Only *everybody* can know the truth.”

“The opinion fated to be *ultimately* agreed to by *all who investigate* is
what we mean by the truth…”

“I may as well, however, say a word about the indifference to logic which
we find not on the part of “everybody”, - since “everybody” is more or less
a fool, but on the part of really superior minds.  Such minds desire to
understand the theory of every kind of doing in which they take part when
any question of superiority between different methods of doing it is
open…no *lanterna pedibus*, no light to guide their researches.” ~Peirce

“The attitude of an earlier type of writers was fundamentally different.
They believed that the gulf separating “the wise” and “the vulgar” was a
basic fact of human nature which could not be influenced by any progress of
popular education:  philosophy, or science, was essentially a privilege of
“the few”…

“Liberal education, which consists in the constant intercourse with the
greatest minds, is a training in the highest form of modesty, not to say of
humility. It is at the same time a training in boldness: it demands from us
the complete break with the noise, the rush, the thoughtlessness...

Liberal education is liberation from vulgarity. The Greeks had a beautiful
word for "vulgarity"; they called it *apeirokalia*, lack of experience in
things beautiful.  Liberal education supplies us with experience in things
beautiful.”

~Strauss, What is Liberal Education?

The mightiness of the icon can be understood with respect to experience in
things beautiful.  It is imbued with the power to bridge that great chasm
between the vulgar and the wise.

one, two, three...

beauty, goodness, truth...

icon, index, symbol...