Clark, list:

I think your recognition of the polysemic nature of terminologies when
discussing the Existence of God/Reality of God problem is very important.
In fact, I’m not sure if *any* person is capable of talking about this
consistently without external help.

Moreover, in terms of using Peirce to get beyond our current situation- one
that is well described and treated in the Fixation of Belief- just goes to
show how much winning an argument prevails over desire for clarification.
The scientific habit of mind is not something one adopts simply because
they hear about it.

I’ve not read Kant but he also speaks on the existence of God problem and
gives an account that brings into conversation the various necessary terms;
God, Being, existence, absolute, predicate, subject, etc…

For example from SEP:

“Clearly, the ontological argument is designed to show that, in fact, there
*is* one (and only one) candidate answering to this idea, namely, the *ens
realissimum*. But it does so by deducing the necessary existence from the
concept of the *ens realissimum* (a being that contains all reality or
predicates) only via the minor premise that “existence” is a predicate or
reality.”

Here is my attempt to clarify using Peirce’s normative structure.

I would appreciate if you or anyone else will improve on it:

C = *ens originarium*

A = *ens realissimum*

B= *ens necessarium*

One:  *summum bonum*

My point here is to simply demonstrate that this is not Peirce’s problem.
It is a problem for philosophy (with constraints, common themes and
patterns that have previously been identified and discussed).  To think we
can identify the best themes (physico-thelogical proof of God's existence?)
or understand it without getting out of Peirce is hubris or simply not
smart.  Still, I understand this is a Peirce list and he was a prodigious
writer, has an inherently coherent system and hard enough to understand in
its own.

Best,

Jerry Rhee