  From: Clark Goble
  To: Peirce-L
  Sent: Friday, September 09, 2016 4:52 PM
  Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Peirce's Theory of Thinking

    On Sep 8, 2016, at 3:41 PM, Edwina Taborsky <tabor...@primus.ca> wrote:

    My use of the term 'universal' refers to its use in the analysis of
reality.

    i frequently refer to that 4.551 quote about Mind - but, in my view, Mind
is not the same as Thirdness. Thirdness is a semiosic process, one of the three
categorical actions  of the actions of Mind - but the two are not identical.

  I remain convinced that some terms are used in such a variety of incompatible
ways in philosophical history that they come to have a baggage that makes them
perfect tools of confusion. I suspect mind is one of those terms. Quite
frequently I wish we could do away with the term entirely. For all the problem
of neologisms in philosophy (including Peirce’s own use of them at times) they
do avoid that baggage.

  Your point is very important. I can’t recall if someone quoted it already but
this quote of Peirce’s is useful. “I desire to defend the three Categories as
the three irreducible and only constituents of thought.” (EP 2.165 “The
Categories Defended”)