Hi list:

What Gary said is wise.  Still, it can be summed up in yet other ways:

“The opinion which is fated <http://www.peirce.org/writings/p119.html#note2> to
be ultimately agreed to by all who investigate, is what we mean by the
truth, and the object represented in this opinion is the real. That is the
way I would explain reality.”

“That the settlement of opinion is the sole end of inquiry is a very
important proposition. It sweeps away, at once, various vague and erroneous
conceptions of proof.”

So basically, Peirce’s concept of truth and reality is a statement about
the long-term future based on correct and stable opinion of a wise society
about an object.  Where is this society and how to get them to agree on
whether which proposition is true?

“A different *new method of settling opinions must be adopted*, that shall
not only produce an impulse to believe, but shall also decide what
proposition it is which is to be believed.”

So, which proposition?  What is a proposition, anyways, other than a
statement that contains terms that admit of truth determination?  Must it
admit of the categories?

As per what Clark said and quoted:

“I remain convinced that some terms are used in such a variety of
incompatible ways in philosophical history that they come to have a baggage
that makes them perfect tools of confusion…Quite frequently I wish we could
do away with the term entirely…

“I desire to defend the three Categories as the three irreducible and only
constituents of thought.” (EP 2.165 “The Categories Defended”)”

What is left after you do away with all terminology/neologisms?  Categories.

What else is there to categories other than relations?  Which relations,

object sign interpretant (osi) or sign object interpretant (soi)?

At the end of inquiry, it will be osi because it’s the natural way of
seeing things as they are.

Oh, and what organizes the categories as a proposition?  CP 5.189.

If not this, *which*?  Don’t be a vegetable.

Best,
Jerry Rhee

“We must state whether it belongs to one or to different sciences to
inquire into the truths which are in mathematics called axioms, and into
substance…

Evidently then it belongs to the philosopher, i.e. to him who is studying
the nature of all substance, to inquire also into the principles of
syllogism. ..

For a principle which every one must have who understands anything that is,
is not a hypothesis; and that which every one must know who knows anything,
he must already have when he comes to a special study. Evidently then such
a principle is the most certain of all; *which principle this is, let us
proceed to say*...

..and if an opinion which contradicts another is contrary to it, obviously
it is impossible for the same man at the same time to believe the same
thing to be and not to be; for if a man were mistaken on this point he
would have contrary opinions at the same time. It is for this reason that
all who are carrying out a demonstration reduce it to this as an ultimate
belief; for this is naturally the starting-point even for all the other
axioms.

-Some indeed demand that even this shall be demonstrated, but this they do
through want of education, for not to know of what things one should demand
demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education.  For
it is impossible that there should be demonstration of absolutely
everything (there would be an infinite regress, so that there would still
be no demonstration); but if there are things of which one should not
demand demonstration, *these persons could not say what principle they
maintain to be more self-evident than the present one*.

We can, however, demonstrate negatively even that this view is impossible, *if
our opponent will only say something*; and if he says nothing, it is absurd
to seek to give an account of our views to one who cannot give an account
of anything, in so far as he cannot do so.  For such a man, as such, is
from the start no better than a vegetable.”

~Aristotle, Metaphysics