Jon, Edwina, list,

About to head off for a weeklong "wellness retreat" in the Catskills, I
have only time to suggest that in this discussion that the notion of
genuine (vs. degenerate) 3ns should be kept in mind.

1903 | CSP's Lowell Lectures of 1903. 2nd Part of 3rd Draught of Lecture
III | CP 1.537 Now in genuine Thirdness, the first, the second, and the
third are all three of the nature of thirds, or thought, while in respect
to one another they are first, second, and third. [—] The third is thought
in its role as governing Secondness. It brings the information into the
mind, or determines the idea and gives it body. It is informing thought, or
*cognition*. *But take away the psychological or accidental human element,
and in this genuine Thirdness we see the operation of a sign *(emphasis
added GR).

1904 | Letters to Lady Welby | CP 8.332

In its genuine form, Thirdness is the triadic relation existing between a
sign, its object, and the interpreting thought, itself a sign, considered
as constituting the mode of being of a sign.
http://www.commens.org/dictionary/term/thirdness

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]