Clark- yes, I think that the disagreements in interpretation of Peirce go
beyond semantics. The way I see it, there are some who view the Peircean
framework in a linear, mechanical reductionist sense; i.e., 'this ..followed by
..this..followed by..this..and...

That's where you get the focus on the representamen alone being called 'the
sign' - and you get the loss of the triadic frame which, in my view, is one of
the two basic formats of the Peircean framework. [The other is the three
categories].

Those people who use Peirce in the sciences, i.e., within the biological and
physico-chemical realms, reject linear mechanical reductionism - but - such a
view continues to hold on in the literary and philosophical realms.

Since I focus on the triad as THE basic semiosic unit,  which I call the Sign
[capital S], then, for me, I see the representamen as mediation - and - as
noted in the ten classes of such triads, it can function in any one of the
three categories.

I also think that it is 'limiting' if we confine Mind to human thinking, for,
as Peirce notes, it operates in 'the work of bees and of crystals'. This means
- since these bees, their work and those crystals are all semiosic Signs, which
is to say, they are all triadic interactions...in dynamic interaction with
other bees and natural matter...that Mind is taking place in these
interactions.

What is thought? What is Mind? Certainly, it is not consciousness. Again, my
reading of Peirce, with that focus on the irreducible necessity of the triad
and the three categories, is that Mind/Thought must operate within the full
triad and has the option of all three categories in this operation. Mind cannot
exist without that full triad - and the fact that its actions can make use of
all categories, in their 'genuine and degenerate modes' gives Mind the adaptive
and innovative power that it has.

But - to reduce Mind to only ONE part of the triad, and only one category, is,
to my view, a misreading of Peirce. But - that's my view.

Edwina