Clark, list:

I like your warnings.  And I like that they are coming from you and not
me.

___________

Jeff said:

I do think there are a spectrum of different approaches and aims that might
guide our engagement with the ideas and arguments Peirce was developing.

No, there is one and only one (one over many) which are summed in (1-3); CP
5.189, because if you closely examine the question of pragmatism, you will
see it is nothing else but the logic of abduction.

However, *if* you do decide to make your own “one and many”,

*then* don’t leave out what is neglected in your list, viz.;

5) Working with one's own methods and with one's own aims with *CLOSE
ATTENTION* to or *care for* what Peirce wrote.

That is, one can also enter into Peirce through Plato, Aristotle or the
Bible.

However, if we only go by your list without 5), that inquirer will not be
welcome because he will be treated as a stranger; one who doesn’t have a
place in that world constructed based only on your list.  Because the
psychological effect will be that those who inhabit the world constructed
by your list will not want to learn Plato, Aristotle or the Bible because
Peirce is enough for them.  It never occurs to them that they might be
talking about a single, general, over-arching thing and to look for it
outside Peirce because Peirce is enough work and it is "good enough" work.
They won't want more work.

For instance, Jeff said, “What is more, I believe that the first three
sorts of inquiries *belong* in the discussion on the Peirce-list... I
believe that you are correct in saying that Peirce thinks that the third
sort of approach and aim should, in general, *be controlling*..."

This is a serious matter because the point is to convince the inquiring
community, viz., *us*.

Hth,

Jerry R