Gary R., List:

GR:  But what Peirce actually says in the article is that it is the
pragmatic maxim, the "rule of 'pragmatism'," which "certainly aids our
approximation to [the] security of reasoning. But it does not contribute to
the uberty of reasoning, which far more calls for solicitous care"
(EP2:465). So, I take this "far more. . .solicitous care" to suggest that
it is not pragmatism itself that offers little uberty, but the PM, what
Peirce tended to refer to as but "a maxim of logical analysis." In my
thinking, pragmatism involves an entire theory of inquiry (including all
three stages of a complete inquiry).

GR:  So, if pragmatism is the "logic of abduction" (1903), and the PM
provides the rule to abduction. I see a possible contradiction in the 1913
text (or at least in Houser's comment) which I've never been able to
resolve in my thinking on the matter every time I read this short draft.

I have been mulling this over, and I keep landing on the thought that there
is only a "possible contradiction" if we conflate pragmatism as the "logic
of abduction" with the pragmatic maxim (PM) as the "rule of pragmatism";
Peirce does not call it the "rule of abduction," as you did.  The two
notions are distinct, and both are necessary; as you said, "pragmatism
involves an entire theory of inquiry (including all three stages of a
complete inquiry)."  Abduction, when employed with "solicitous care,"
provides uberty as the only type of reasoning that "contributes the
smallest positive item to the final conclusion of the inquiry" (CP 6.475,
EP 2.443); but at the same time, it "does not afford security.  The
hypothesis must be tested" (CP 6.470, EP 2.441).  The PM, on the other
hand, "certainly aids our approximation to [the] security of reasoning.
But it does not contribute to the uberty of reasoning" (EP 2.465).

GR:  The matter of security vs uberty seems clear enough when one takes up
each of the three forms of reasoning, deduction having the most security
and abduction the least with induction somewhere in between. But how should
we think of pragmatism itself in consideration of security and uberty?

To summarize my suggested answer--abduction provides uberty, by generating
new hypotheses; deduction provides security, by explicating those
hypotheses in accordance with the PM; and induction provides both, by
evaluating those hypotheses against experience.  As you hinted, Houser's
comment wrongly equates pragmatism with its maxim, when the latter is only
one aspect of pragmat[ic]ism as a whole.