Gary R, Jon S, Edwina, List,

I hope it was clear that my aim in formulating and then reformulating a series
of assertinos and questions that pertain to Peirce's claims about God as
creator of the three universes of experience in "The Neglected Argument" was
clear. It was a deliberate attempt to follow the scholastic procedure in
approaching disagreements between disputants. That is, I was hoping to close
some of the distance between the parties (e.g., Jon S and Edwina) by exploring
where there might be some common ground.

Here are two versions of an assertion I was trying to frame by drawing on
Emersons's quote in his discussion of the farmer followed by two versions of a
question. My goal was to think a bit more about the different senses in which
Peirce might be saying that God is a creator. Given the fact that I grew up on
a farm and spent much of my youth baling hay and tending to cows bearing
calves, the allusion has a special resonance with my own experience.

1. The glory of God as Ens necessarium is that, in the division of labor, it is
his part to create.

2.  The glory of the Mind-like Reasonableness in Nature as Ens necessarium is
that, in the division of labor, it is its part to create.

3. Is the God as Ens necessarium self-sufficient in his originative capacity,
or is his capacity to create homogeneities of connectedness out of variety
within and between the three universes of experience dependent on something
else?

4. Is the Mind-like Reasonableness in Nature as Ens necessarium self-sufficient
in its originative capacity, or is its capacity to create homogeneities of
connectedness out of variety within and between the three universes of
experience dependent on something else?

One of the lessons I draw from "The Neglected Argument" is that answers to the
largest questions often drawn on conceptions that are, by their very nature,
quite vague. What is more, I think we should be cautious about seeking  greater
precision in the use of these conceptions than is really needed or warranted. I
deliberately tried to avoid imposing specific claims about what is immanent in
nature or what is separate from it as well as claims about what might or might
not be operating as a form of self-organization and the like.

For my part, I take these to be open questions, and we should be careful about
the way we might try re-frame the questions or formulate hypotheses as
tentative answers. I am trying to follow the critical common-sensist approach
in holding off on imposing too much exactness on the questions or the answers
when addressing these large matters. After all, our shared common sense has
been evolving for many thousands of years and it probably contains forms of
wisdom that surpass my abilities as a relatively solitary and short-lived
thinker.

Having said that about my own common-sense way of coming at these questions and
answers, I do feel a need to push further as a person who engages in
philosophy. But I try to keep in mind that the philosophical inquiries are
theoretical in character and, across the board, they are highly prone to error.
A quick look at the history of philosophy should be enough to confirm anyone's
suspicions that, as a scientific form in inquiry, it is still in its relative
infancy in working out its methods as compared to say, math or astronomy.

So, I have ideas about how we might reconstruct several of Peirce's lines of
inquiry in "The Neglected Argument", but I see several major strands to the
inquiries and I see several methods at work. Moving beyond a reconstruction of
his argument, I believe that we can and should pursue these different lines of
inquiry--and that we should seek to do so as part of a larger community of
inquiry that seeks common ground and that is drawing on commonly accepted
methods and kinds of observations.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor