Dear list:

Here is an additional perspective to help interpretation:

“Socrates seems to have regarded the change which he brought about as a
return to “sobriety” and “moderation” from the “madness” of his
predecessors.  In contradistinction to his predecessors, he did not
separate wisdom from moderation.  In present-day parlance one can describe
the change in question as a return to “common sense” or to “the world of
common sense.”

That to which the question “What is?” points is the *eidos* of a thing, the
shape or form or character or “idea” of a thing.  It is no accident that
the term *eidos* signifies primarily that which is visible to all without
any particular effort or what one might call the “surface” of the things.

Socrates started not from what is first in itself or first by nature but
from what is first for us, from what comes to sight first, from the
phenomena.”
~Leo Strauss, Natural Right and History

Best,
Jerry R