Edwina, List:

We have been over this ground already--Peirce wrote CP 1.412 in 1887-1888,
and spent the next two decades revising and refining his views about the
origin of the universe.  This is evident in various writings, including the
1891-1893 "metaphysical series" in *The Monist*, the 1898 Cambridge
Conferences lectures on *Reasoning and the Logic of Things*, and (finally)
the 1908 article "A Neglected Argument for the Reality of God."  You have
acknowledged previously that you *cannot explain* why these later
descriptions, especially the last one, include "a non-immanent agential
creator"; but it seems obvious that Peirce must have ultimately found any
other explanation *unsatisfactory*.

Even if we take CP 1.412 and your interpretation thereof in isolation,
there are still tough questions that cannot be avoided.  Where did "the
original chaos ... in effect a state of mere indeterminacy" come from?
Where did the three categories come from?  Where did matter/mind come
from?  In other words, where did Being come from?  By 1908, Peirce had
settled upon the unavoidable conclusion that the only Being whose origin *does
not* require an explanation is *Ens necessarium*--i.e., *necessary *Being,
which has no origin at all, and which he explicitly identified as God.