  From: Jon Alan Schmidt
  To: Edwina Taborsky
  Cc: Clark Goble ; Peirce-L
  Sent: Monday, October 24, 2016 2:59 PM
  Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Peirce's Logical Universes and Categories

  Edwina, List:

    ET:  No- you aren't accurate but I don't see that I should have to  defend
myself; if you have inaccurate views of my views - then, I am hardly going to
fight you about your views of me!

  My apologies, I did not intend to misrepresent you; but how is having "no
comment" on "A Neglected Argument" any different (in the pragmaticist sense)
from rejecting it?  You just reiterated that you "don't find that it fits in
with the emergence-evolution arguments found elsewhere in Peirce"; how is this
at odds with my statement that you find it incompatible with his earlier
cosmological/cosmogonic writings, which you favor?

    ET:  BUT - you adamantly told us that Peirce effectively abandoned his use
of the Categories, which you defined as 'early' and instead, moved on to
consider the Three Universes.

  I believe that a fair review of the List archives would show that I was never
"adamant" about this, but rather consistently characterized it as merely an
"impression," or at most a "hypothesis"; and in any case, I immediately changed
my mind and disavowed it when Gary R. reminded me that Peirce discussed the
Categories at some length in at least one of his 1907 drafts on "Pragmatism."
In other words, I have come to agree with you "that Peirce never abandoned the
Categories"; however, I still see the discussion of "Universes" rather than
"Categories" in both "A Neglected Argument" and the December 1908 draft letter
to Lady Welby as calling for an explanation.  If they are not two subtly
different expressions of the same thing, perhaps in the sense that the three
Universes are the phaneroscopic and/or metaphysical manifestations of the three
(logical?) Categories, then what exactly is the distinction between the two
terms?

  Regards,

  Jon