Jon, Edwina, List,

Two things have been clarified for me from this discussion. First, that as
Jon noted, Peirce would unquestionably* not* "sanction calling a
proposition "logical" that renders the origin of the entire universe
*inexplicable*."

The self-generation or self-creation of the Universe is such an illogical
proposition. What Peirce offers in his early cosmological musings, as
difficult as they certainly are to analyze and interpret, increasingly make
better sense--at least for me--of the origins of the Universe than the
competing theory, the Big Bang, for which Great Singularity there has never
been a persuasive, or pretty much any, reason given.

So, as I'm now seeing it, this great scientist, philosopher, and logician
(semiotician), i.e., Peirce, arrives at his early cosmology (which
necessitates God) because for him this is the only reasonable solution to
the ancient question of why there is anything rather than nothing and why
it takes the (for Peirce) trichotomic form which it does. That he employs
the fruits of his intellectual labors over a lifetime, including his notion
of Three Universes, in an attempt at a reasonable answer to this question
is much less the action of a believer (an certainly not a theologian, for
he famously rather despised theology), than as a scientist.

Second, from his own words it is clear that Peirce would never "substitute
"the Mind-like Reasonableness in Nature" for "God" as *Ens necessarium*."

Jon has argued this repeatedly and so well that I have nothing to add to
his argumentation.

But this brings me back to the first point, namely, that for Peirce a
principal, perhaps *the* principal purpose of science and reason is exactly
to make the world explicable. As Terry Eagleton writes in *Reason, Faith,
and Revolution: Reflections on the God Debate* in words which could be
Peirce's:

We may. . . inquire what we are to make of the fact that even before we
have begun to reason properly, that the world is in principle reasonable in
the first place (129).

In additional, Eagleton comments, following Aquinas' dictum that "all
virtues have their source in love":

Love is the ultimate form of soberly disenchanted realism, which is why it
is the twin of truth (122),

But that would get us into a discussion of Peirce's non-traditional view of
Christianity, which is, even if deeply related, a distinctly different
topic than the Reality of God in the N.A.

Best,

Gary R

: Love is the ultimate form of soberly

[image: Gary Richmond]