Clark, list,

Clark wrote:

For the record I wouldn’t trust Britannica on technical topics either.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'trust' here. An encyclopedia is meant
principally as a first or preliminary source and, as John Collier
suggested, students--and, indeed, all researchers--should consult multiple
sources, *perhaps* including encyclopedias.. Indeed, encyclopedia articles
are characteristically brief enough that one might read Wikipedia's,
Britannica's, and perhaps a few other 'basic' sources before plunging into
deeper research.

Clark also wrote:

I think the Britannica/Wikipedia comparison is a bit problematic though. On
more general topics such as traditional encyclopedias cover I’m sure
Wikipedia is typically fine. It’s the more narrow topics where problems
tend to pop up.

I would tend to see it in just the opposite way. John Collier wrote:

One of our brightest students, and my TA for a couple of years, was a big
contributor of articles and editor for Wikipedia. He took it very
seriously.

I know a number of Wikipedia contributors who take "it very seriously," and
are quick to correct errors when they appear. And this seems especially the
caseas concerns more 'narrow' topics. But John also wrote re Wikipedia

There are rules about citing sources (failures to do this are typically
noted). There is supposed to be no creative writing, just reporting wahat
is said in identifiable sources. Both of these rules are often violated.

I'm not sure just how frequently these rules are broken, but in my
experience (and, in particular, I recall a mini-inquiry several of my
undergraduate critical thinking classes undertook on the topic), I saw that
there was a very strong desire among the most serious contributors to
correct errors, including those of citation.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*