> On Dec 11, 2016, at 1:37 PM, kirst...@saunalahti.fi
> <mailto:kirst...@saunalahti.fi> wrote:
>
> The string theoty is a legitimate theory, even if (and when)it does not hold.
> It has paved the way forwards. -

I tend to agree despite recognizing its problems. However this gets at some key
issues in philosophy of science regarding what is or isn’t a legitimate theory
and why. Not everyone agrees string theory is legitimate precisely because it
doesn’t make empirical tests that can in practice help verify/falsify it.
(Recognizing that those notions are themselves complex and somewhat problematic)