John C, Helmut, Clark, list,

Perhaps you've seen this recent report, "Verlinde's new theory of gravity
passes first test." In a word, Verlinde's theory sees gravity as an
emergent phenomenon which does not involve dark matter.

[Verlinde's theory] explains the mechanism behind gravity with his
alternative to Einstein's theory, but also the origin of the mysterious
extra gravity, which astronomers currently attribute to dark matter. Verlinde's
new theory <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropic_gravity> predicts how
much gravity there must be, based only on the mass of the visible matter
<http://phys.org/tags/visible+matter/>.
http://phys.org/news/2016-12-verlinde-theory-gravity.html#jCp

See also:

First proposed back in 2010 <https://arxiv.org/abs/1001.0785>, the new
hypothesis states that gravity might behave and arise very differently than
Einstein predicted, and an independent study of more than 30,000 galaxies
has now found the first evidence to back this up.
http://www.sciencealert.com/a-controversial-new-gravity-hypothesis-has-passed-its-first-test

This initial test is described here:

[Astronomer Margot Brouwer at the Leiden Observatory] and her team measured
the distribution of gravity around more than 33,000 galaxies to put
Verlinde's prediction to the test. She concludes that Verlinde's theory
agrees well with the measured gravity distribution. The results have been
accepted for publication in the British journal Monthly Notices of the
Royal Astronomical Society.

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2016/12/-new-theory-of-gravity-as-an-emergent-phenomena-in-the-universe-first-tests-looks-interesting.html

Needless to say, Verlinde's theory is quite controversial.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*