Jon S., list,

_/Universum/_ in the sense of the whole world goes back at least to Cicero in the 1st Century B.C. http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0059%3Aentry%3Duniversus

You wrote,

   Note also Peirce's stance that universal propositions do not assert
   the existence of anything.  So "if a cat, then a mammal" could be
   true even if neither cats nor mammals exist.
   [End quote]

Yes, that's my point about "if a cat, then a mammal" - as a compound term in the form Cx→Mx, it's true of absolutely everything in the world (the actual world, at least), and this is reflected by the usual kind of logical formulation "For all /x/, if /x/ is a cat, then /x/ is a mammal" (i.e., "For all /x/: /x/ is not a cat and/or /x/ is a mammal"). This rule-style of formulation reflects a major difference between Peirce's generals and Peirce's qualities of feeling which are generals when reflected on but are not rules and are not formulated as rules. With the conditional form "Cx→Mx", Peirce's generals are maximally general in a sense, just not pertinent in all cases. As you note, it doesn't entail the existence of anything, at least not of anything in particular (in Peirce's view a universe of discourse smaller than two objects should be ruled out, so the existence of at least two objects is automatically, if not always relevantly, entailed by any term or proposition in a Peircean universe).

You wrote:

   Peirce's identification of generality with continuity leads me to
   think that every general is a continuum of possibilities. Hence
   multiple instantiations of the same general are not identical, just
   different parts of the same continuum, which is why they are
   continua themselves and not necessarily distinguishable from each other.

At first I thought I knew what you meant, but somehow it's become less clear to me, I can't even recapture what I at first thought you meant. I'm trying to put it in the context of your regarding the use of the word "general" as evoking the possibility of exceptions.

Anyway, your idea that Peirce chose "general" because it suggests the possibility of exceptions remains appealing. One could extend the idea to include the possibility of growth and evolution (as of a genus, and as of a symbol); the idea of the "universal" true of absolutely everything seems somehow more static and uniform. Mathematics could get away with it because of mathematics' having its counterbalancing imaginative freedom, but for the other things "general" seems better.

Best, Ben