Jon S., list,

I don't have a quote handy, but Peirce said specifically that the pragmatic maxim is for clarifying not qualities of feeling, but conceptions. I suppose that that could include conceptions of qualities of feeling, but not the qualities of feeling themselves. A mechanical quality (such as the unscratchability or 'hardness' of a diamond) is not a quality of feeling. Instead it's an if-then property that we think of as a quality as if of feeling. Peirce said something to that effect, but it may take a while for me to dig it up.

Best, Ben