Helmut - further to your post, where you write
"if you believe that the universe itself is an organism (pantheism) or part of
an organism (panentheism), then nominalism would make sense?"

I'd say 'no' to that. I, myself, consider that the universe is an organism, a
massive operation of 'Mind', but that's not nominalism.

Again, as Peirce pointed out in 1.16 - the question is, 'whether laws and
general types are figments of the mind or real". As I mentioned in an earlier
post, the Saussurian semiology is an example of a perspective that considers
that general types are mental concepts. That is, since nominalism is expressed
in symbols/words, then, information becomes almost entirely operative in the
human realm. Plants, animals, cells, molecules..become inanimate or dumb
matter.

And further, as Peirce noted, the great era of nominalism emerged in the 14th
century,  with the rise of the battle against the control of thought by the
Church. That is, with the emergence of a market economy and middle class, the
civic individual, i.e., the non-clerical working man, began to require the
political and economic right to individually and personally 'handle' the
environment. This 'handling' was all about 'the being of individual thing or
fact' [1.21]. This new age man was not interested in the amorphousness of
general laws outside of his direct actual grasp and personal perception.

Thus, the world of nominalism reduces everything to only one mode of being;
that of Secondness, or existent particular objects. It ignores Firstness, that
mode of being of isolate free possibility - or, if it acknowledges it, it is to
transform this mode into an 'unconscious' psychological feeling within that new
age man..which can then be brought into the consciousness by ..guess what...by
words.

And most certainly, nominalism rejects Thirdness, the mode of being made up of
general laws - since, for the nominalist, laws are not real in themselves but
are intellectual constructs of the human mind...."this general rule is nothing
but a mere word or couple of words" [1.26].

When we reject nominalism for its obvious limitations, I think that we have to
be careful with analyzing the two modal categories absent in nominalism;
Firstness and Thirdness. These are modes of being, actual means of organizing
matter, and can't be reduced to terms or words.