Clark:

Agreed - Firstness has a character while Nothing does not. That's also how I
read Peirce's outline of the three categories - that they operate within
'character' or boundaries, which means that none of the categories can be
primordial or 'pre-matter'.

Mind, which in my reading of Peirce, operates within all three modal
categories, emerges with the emergence of the material universe.  He notes this
in his outline of the emergence of matter in 1.412, and one can also read, that
he considers "a state of things in which the three universes were completely
nil. Consequently, whether in time or not, the three universes must actually be
absolutely necessary results of a state of utter nothingness" 6.490.
The three universes operate within the three modal categories and therefore,
none of them are prior to matter, for 'the universe of mind..coincides with the
universe of matter' [6.501] by which I understand that the modal categories are
correlated with each other and none is primordial. After all, 'habit-taking is
intimately  connected with nutrition' 6.283, i.e., Thirdness is correlated with
matter.

As for WHAT the term of god means, Peirce says 'the analogue of a mind' [6.502]
and since he has already considered that Mind and Matter are correlated - the
one cannot exist without the other [Aristotle].

Yes, I agree that original sources are vital - and that they disagree within
texts and with each other.

Would you say that agapasm is a 'drive towards unity' or is it a 'feeling' of
attraction to Otherness, and an action of the development of some, just some,
commonalities. That is, agapasm requires diversity of matter, for 'love' exists
only within an attraction to the Not-Self and the 'power of sympathy' towards
this otherness 6.307.

Edwina