Helmut, List:

Rather than mathematics, tautology, or truth, Peirce identified the
psychical law--the Law of Mind, generalization, the habit-taking
tendency--as the primordial law, from which all physical laws are "derived
and special" (CP 6.24).  In "A Guess at the Riddle" (CP 1.412; 1887-1888),
he wrote that the "second flash" came about "by the principle of
habit"--which means that the latter must have already been in place.  In
fact, in an early draft of "A Neglected Argument" (R 842; 1908), Peirce
acknowledged that "there must have been some original tendency to take
habits which did not arise according to my hypothesis," crediting this
correction to Professor Ogden Rood.  If the tendency to take habits was
truly "original," then 3ns must have preceded 1ns and 2ns in some
sense--presumably more logical than temporal, per Clark's comments.