Hi Eric,

Welcome to the list!

Looking at what Lady Welby in *Meaning and Metaphor* says of Jowett, he the
famous translator of Plato’s works and possessing the proper sensibility:

“In his “Dialogues of Plato” Professor Jowett warned us twenty years ago of
our linguistic dangers, repeating his warning with greater emphasis and in
fresh forms in the admirable essays added in the edition just published.
He urges that the “greatest lesson which the philosophical analysis of
language teaches us is, that we should be above language, making words our
servants and not allowing them to be our masters. (cf., “to be masters of
our own meaning” *Peirce*, JR)

“Words,” he tells us, “appear to be isolated but they are really the parts
of an organism which is always being reproduced.  They are refined by
civilization, harmonized by poetry, emphasized by literature, technically
applied in philosophy and art; they are used as symbols on the
border-ground of human knowledge; they receive a fresh impress from
individual genius, and come with a new force and association to every
lively-minded person.”

And, of course, here is a direct warning from Jowett:

“The famous dispute between Nominalists and Realists would never have been
heard of, if… the spirit of Plato had been truly understood and
appreciated.”

The analogy of the nominalist/realist distinction *is* simply
sophist/philosopher.

That is, nominalist: realist :: sophist: philosopher.

This creates problems.  Not only for the fact that there is a range of
good/bad sophists, but also that no one wants to be a sophist/nominalist
because they’re not the heroes, it is the philosopher.

But this is the state of society, for philosophers are so few; most of us
are vulgar and not wise because we do not possess the perspective of the
philosopher; for we lack experience in things beautiful.  Neither is
Socrates wise, if to be the philosopher is to be wise, which creates a
tension that is relieved in the *Apology*,

“Men of Athens, this reputation of mine has come of a certain sort of
wisdom which I possess. If you ask me what kind of wisdom, I reply, such
wisdom as is attainable by man, for to that extent I am inclined to believe
that I am wise; whereas the persons of whom I was speaking have a
superhuman wisdom, which I may fail to describe, because I have it not
myself.”

In any case, important philosophical themes in Plato’s demonstrations of
this nominalism/realism, James/Peirce, James’ pragmatic maxim/Peirce’s
pragmatic maxim analogical tension is given in *Gorgias*.

I recommend Benardete’s *The Rhetoric of Morality and Philosophy* to get a
classicist’s interpretation for what it means to get a hold of important
themes.

I would like to add that the regularity *is* interlocutors walking away.
So the question is how to get out of that dilemma.

“What argument would remould such people?”

~Aristotle, *Nichomachean Ethics X, 9*

Hth,

Jerry Rhee