Jeff,
Thank you for the thoughtful answer. (And Jon for the links.) It will take
me a bit to digest and respond. My initial inclination is to say that
everything you pointed to does seem important, but doesn't seem obviously
to hinge on anything I can easily understand as a difference between
nominalists and realists (as I still struggle to understand the asserted
key distinction). I will try to express more complete thoughts shortly.

Best,
Eric

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Supervisory Survey Statistician