John:

Thanks for your interesting and provocative insights.

By way of background, I have compared the various theories of nominalism and
realism for more than 20 years.  I find your values deeply embedded in the
assertion that one is a weaker hypothesis than the other.  Often, nominalists
appeal to the role of authority, historical precedence.  (Think of the role of
precedence in our legal and political systems.)

Some points of your post deserves to be highlighted.

> Peirce thought we could get out of this by abduction, but empiricists don't
> allow this as part of logic. Nominalism says nothing else about the real
> essence of things. Realists have to add something in order to make their
> claims. Empiricists typically claim that we don't need anything more to do
> science.

1. Scientific empiricism, as I understand it, is virtually independent of any
concern about abduction.  In physics, chemistry and politics, empiricism seeks
ways to justify past, present or future events.  (Often, with the aid of
statistics.)

2. “Names”, as I pointed out, are critical to the logic of chemistry.  Each
chemical identity is an individual polynomial.  It is not historically or
grammatically possible to completely separate the concept of  nominalism from
the concept of names, is it?  The thread connecting the concept of nominalism
to names may be weak, but it cannot be completely ignored.

3. Now, for the most important comment.  It is almost certain that CSP’s notion
of abduction as a method to generate a possibility space came directly from the
concept of proof of structure.  It follows from his notions of medads and
graphic relations and relatives and the concept of variable valences of
elements.  The notion of abduction was a critical part of hybrid logic
necessary to develop the simple algebra of labelled bipartite graph theory of
the perplex number system.

4. Secondly, realists MUST add something to signs to make their claims. What
must be added is the physical evidence that relates the parts (indices) to the
whole (sinsigns) such that the abductive hypotheses can be distinguished from
one another.

5. The assertion "Empiricists typically claim that we don't need anything more
to do science.” appears rather problematic to me.

Cheers

Jerry