  From: John Collier
  To: Edwina Taborsky ; Peirce-L
  Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2017 11:12 AM
  Subject: RE: [PEIRCE-L] Nominalism vs. Realism -

  I don’t agree. Edwina. Empiricism started in the Middle ages and went through
periods of profound social transformation since while being changed relatively
little.

  I don’t think it is a political ideology.

  I think that confusing sociological and scientific logic with each together
leads to confusion, with which your post is rife. Much of what you say about
empiricism just strikes me as irrelevant, with multitude counterexamples I
won’t go into here except to note that empiricism co-existed with m any
political ideologies.

  I don’t think that Peirce was particularly political in his logic or
methodology, though I understand his politics tended to towards the
conservative. He didn’t write much about real political issues of his time, and
I doubt it was a major influence in his overall though.

  John Collier

  Emeritus Professor and Senior Research Associate

  Philosophy, University of KwaZulu-Natal

  http://web.ncf.ca/collier