I think that even a philosophical ideology , eg, the 'classic form of
empiricism', has to be grounded in the societal infrastructure.

Political ideologies certainly must be grounded; I think it's an error to say,
for example, the 'democracy is the best political system', for any political
system must give political power to that section of the population that
produces wealth and so enables continuity of that society. If the majority of
the population are producing wealth, then, democracy is the most functional
political system. If only a minority are producing wealth [and this was the
case for most of mankind's economic history], then, democracy would be
dysfunctional.

What about philosophical ideologies? Are they isolated from grounding in the
societal infrastructure? I've outlined my view of the enormous societal impact
of the rise of empiricism, which empowered ordinary individuals to interact, as
they saw fit, with the world. The slippery slope downside is that it easily
moves into the randomness of postmodern relativism and chaos.

What about realism? How does it societally function? It removes the individual
from sole access to 'truth' and inserts a 'community of scholars'. This removes
randomness from the analysis. It posits a truth system based around general
rules, where individual articulations of these rules are just that: individual
and transient versions but almost minor in their real-life power except as
versions of those rules. This has its own slippery slope of fundamental
determinism and we've seen the results in many eras in our world history,
including modern times.

 Peirce dealt with this with his focus on the freedom of Firstness and his view
that the rules [Thirdness] evolve and adapt. This would enable a society to
have a rule of law, with local variations - something required in a 'growth
society' - i.e., a modern society as differentiated from a no-growth or
pre-industrial society.

Edwina