Jerry,

I haven't found it necessary to go beyond the logic that I was taught in
University as an undergrad and graduate student, especially from Boolos,
Church, Kalish and David Kaplan. From the former I learned set theory (which I
later taught at Rice) in which arithmetic can be grounded (granted the
incompleteness of both. From Kaplan I learned many-valued logic including three
valued logic used by intuitionists and others who deny the excluded middle.

Incompleteness, undecidability and noncomputablity plays a major role in my
dealings with nonreducible phenomena, and the application of information theory
thereto, as well as to my work on causation and dynamical systems un general.
To the best of my knowledge, the application (but not the logic) is novel.

I do not see any way in which CSP's logic is at odds with contemporary logic,
though contemporary logic has included much that he never thought of or just
had primordial thoughts about.

I agree that statistical methods are limited and are often misused, but I
think, and have taught, that a proper understanding of the underlying logic can
help to avoid this and help to put statistics in its proper place.

My work on natural kinds makes use of intensional logic, but argues that once
we understand the isssues we can dispense with mere possibilities in the
science of the natual world. Since 1994 I have been on an effort to minimize my
metaphysics, best represented in Every Thing Must Go, though I prefer what I
call dynamical realism to structural realism.

John Collier
Emeritus Professor and Senior Research Associate
Philosophy, University of KwaZulu-Natal
http://web.ncf.ca/collier