It is interesting and clear that there is a spectrum of thinking that goes
from images through words.

Someone with brain chops will figure that out and create a theory no doubt,
But it seems obvious to me that regardless of how anyone thinks words are
the basis of the entire crucial area of existence Wittgenstein called
nonsense.

Exclude mystery and supposition and theorizing when no theory can be
proven. What I see is just what I saw when I was trying to deal with
freedom and will. A language of images and a language of words, verbal and
nonverbal communication, are, with several other things, UTILITIES within
consciousness, enablers and can best be understood in that way.

Thus it makes no difference how we communicate and we can give no
ontological status to one or another mode. Do they work? Clearly, they do.
It matters not that I am at the other end of the spectrum from John. If
there were tests for verbal or nonverbal I would get 100 for the former and
nada for the latter.

That said, theologically there is no substitute for words. At least in the
sense of how we understand them, as written communication. Words in
themselves are like anything written. They radically diminish the full sign
that existed before the word. I cannot stress how important this issue is.
There is no either-or in communication that says words are superior to
images or the opposite. But there is the role of the word in creation
itself. Without words, we would be literally insensible. As it is we are
borderline sensible. That is progress of a sort.

amazon.com/author/stephenrose