Eric, list:

You said:

“I have great love for Peirce and his work. But there are parts that I love
less, particularly where Peirce ... seems to me to.... forget the
parameters of his own argument.”

If there should be inconsistencies in Peirce, my reaction is typically to
treat myself as defective, not Peirce.  That is, I treat Peirce as a
perfect writer; that if he should blunder, he blunders intentionally for
our benefit (cf., logographic necessity and Strauss’ method of interpreting
perfect writers).

You said:

“Peirce tells us what clear thinking is, while fully and responsibly
acknowledging that most people do not think clearly most of the time. On
that basis, if anyone thinks of anyone else's thoughts as entailing at all
times the third degree of clarity, something is seriously amiss.”

It would be foolish to think Peirce went around thinking that we always
think at all times with the third degree of clarity.  For instance:

*“I understand pragmatism to be a method of ascertaining the meanings, not
of all ideas, but only of what I call ‘intellectual concepts’, that is to
say, of those upon the structure of which, arguments concerning objective
fact may hinge.”* ~Pragmatism

His theory is for a community of inquirers and not specifically for the
individual, for that would be too complicated.  The method of ascertaining
the meaning of ‘intellectual concepts’, he examines in many places but also
demonstrates in the Neglected Argument.

Moreover, he divested himself of the idea that the original maxim
sufficiently treats the third grade of clearness.  He does this in many
places (cf., *What Pragmatism Is*) but for some reason, you (and many
others, including academicians) routinely ignore this.  For instance:

“Moreover, my paper of 1878 was imperfect in tacitly leaving it to appear
that the maxim of pragmatism led to the last stage of clearness. I wish now
to show that this is not the case and to find a series of categories of
clearness.”

http://www.iupui.edu/~arisbe/menu/library/bycsp/L75/ver1/l75v1-09.htm

You said:

Further, when Peirce elsewhere starts making broad pronouncements about
"thought" it oftentimes seems that he is referring solely to those rare
instances of clear thinking, but other times is referring to the typical
thinking, or all thinking?

I can’t speak to whether he, throughout greater than 40 years of writing,
maintained a single unitary definition for Thought.  Yet, he does treat
Thought in a technical sense as a theory, with the understanding that he is
constructing a philosophical definition, one that will satisfy all who
investigate. A complete logical form of thought is so given in its three
elements; the three categories, set in argument form.  It is the predicate
term, *C*, that limits Thought.

You said:

The later is particularly suspicious. Assertions regarding the nature of
*all* thinking would presumably be subject to extreme empirical scrutiny.
As we have rejected traditional metaphysics, and denied any special powers
of introspection, one would expect "thought" to be examined in the same way

I don’t find your criticism here to be well thought out.  What makes you
think that “we” have rejected “traditional metaphysics”?  Who do you even
consider as belonging to “traditional metaphysics”?  Have you ever read
Aristotle?  For he says things like:

‘The fact that he has a fever

is a sign

that he is ill’,

or,

‘The fact that she is giving milk

is a sign

that she has lately borne a child’.

Here we have the infallible kind of Sign, the only kind that constitutes a
complete proof, since it is the only kind that, if the particular statement
is true, is irrefutable.” ~Aristotle, *Rhetoric*

Compare, for instance, against Peirce:

The surprising fact, C, is observed;

But if A were true, C would be a matter of course,

Hence, there is reason to suspect that A is true.

As per what Peirce said on signs, in particular a Complete Sign, I will
leave for you to investigate.  For instance, if you decide to take
metaphysics (“the science of unclear thinking”) seriously, I think you will
find fruit in comparing against *Posterior Analytics* I-23.

Moreover, you shouldn’t reject traditional metaphysics until you even have
an inkling of what is meant by a syllogism addressing the discourse in the
soul.

Hth,

Jerry Rhee