> On Apr 5, 2017, at 1:43 PM, Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am not sure exactly how this bears on your entropy conversation, except
> that entropy is often described as disorder; so from that standpoint,
> uniformity and habit-taking both seem to be negentropic in nature.

The question really is of chance. For Peirce chance both forms habits but also
allows breaks from habit. Mind is the capacity to form habits but habits can be
long term habits or short term habits. Again for Peirce the universe as a whole
can be considered mind and the universe is thus a kind of argument that is
preceding by thinking itself. However that means the universe is at odds with
thermodynamics, which Peirce thought applied only to mechanistic deterministic
systems.

What Edwina is more or less saying (if I have her right) is that thinking of
all this in the idealist ways Peirce did is wrong. That is we should
appropriate Peirce more in a materialistic way. I don’t have any problem with
that, I should add. I think Peirce’s cosmology has always been problematic.
Both in terms of his arguments for his cosmology but also it’s simply a view I
think few people are comfortable with. There’s a reason why platonism is often
used disparagingly. I think appropriating Peirce and his semiotics in a more
narrow way is completely fine. We can talk about signs quite well without
buying into his objective idealism. Although there will be places where this
will cause problem precisely because Peirce saw an unity to his own thought.

I suspect the differences between you and Edwina in other contexts ultimately
is a manifestation of to what degree are we using Peirce and to what degree are
we attempting to understand Peirce on his own terms. I think Edwina (and
correct me if I’m wrong Edwina) gets frustrated in the list is because there’s
often been so much focus on Peirce’s ontology and terminology related to that
ontology rather than on application (where the ontology matters far less).

So for example if I’m talking about semiotics within chemistry Peirce’s
cosmology likely rarely matters. Ditto if I’m talking about systems programming
or AI. My guess is that Edwina wants to talk about firstness as entropy because
she’s limiting the discussion to a more narrow area.