> On Apr 3, 2017, at 12:59 PM, Edwina Taborsky <tabor...@primus.ca> wrote:
>
> That is - I am also suggesting that Firstness is not simply quality, feeling,
> chance - but - is entropy.

Could you unpack that a little more? I *think* I understand what you’re getting
at — how chance undermines order — but I’m not quite sure. Or, put an other
way, if habit is the opposite of a rise in entropy then movement away from
habit (substance being the ultimate limit) would increase entropy.

The place where of course Peirce has some difficulty here is with the second
law of thermodynamics. The heat death thesis is the clearest example of this.
Now one might say that Peirce’s conception of substance as the limit of
semiosis is heat death, but I don’t think that’s right. The heat death is
basically the interaction between things leading to a broad distribution of
energy so you lose differentiation. But for Peirce of course habits are moving
towards more differentiation. While we see that locally we don’t see that
globally.

So far as I know not a lot has been written on Peirce and the second law of
thermodynamics. Which is surprising given how much has been written on Peirce
and chance - particularly related to classic epicureanism and stoicism. Given
Peirce’s background in physics and chemistry he knew thermodynamics but from
what I can tell didn’t really apply it to his cosmology.

One of the few articles on the subject in Andrew Reynolds “Peirce’s Cosmology
and the Laws of Thermodynamics” in Transactions. There he notes Peirce’s
conception of the first law (conservation) was that it was just an algebraic
relationship and not an ontological condition (the way most physicists take
it).  So for him it simply doesn’t prescribe that the total amount of energy in
the universe is constant. Merely that in any system you have algebraic
connections between energy flow. (See CP 6.602)

He next distinguishes between forces for growth, that are irreversible, from
those tied to the conservation of energy which are reversible. Since Perice
thought growth had stronger evidence than conservation, growth was the
exception. (6.613) He adopts the position of Carus in which the brain is
primarily physical and thus subject to conservation laws except that “there are
present states of awareness….Neither states of awareness nor their meanings can
be weighed on any scales….” (CP 6.614) In explaining that quote from Carus,
Peirce says, “It escapes materialism. It supposes a direct dynamical action
between mind and matter, such as not been supposed by any eminent philosopher
that I know of for centuries.”

Regarding entropy again, Peirce’s platonic cosmology is kind of the inverse of
what physicists would expect. The end is not heat death but a system “in which
mind is at last crystalized in the infinitely distant future” (6.33) Reynolds
argues that we ought distinguish between 20th century views of entropy from
Peirce’s 19th century views. (I don’t know enough about the detailed history
here to know how accurate he is - I’m assuming he’s getting it right)

Peirce praises the Maxwell/Boltzmann statistical interpretation of entropy.
(Reasoning, 220) The Boltzmann interpretation is that entropy holds only
statistically. But Peirce sees real chance as working in a direction counter to
the increase of entropy. “But although no force can counteract this tendency,
chance may and will have the opposite influence. Force is in the long run
dissipative; chance is in the long run concentrative. The dissipation of energy
by the regular laws of nature is by those very laws accompanied by
circumstances more and more favorable to its reconcentration by chance.”
(Writings 4.551) Reynolds argues Peirce is thinking of what later was called
the Poincare Recurrence Theorem. However Peirce for mechanism favors Boltzmann
and thus something like the heat death but due to chance thinks this won’t
happen. He recognizes the problem with entropy but sees himself as an
ontological evolutionist. Since “the universe as a whole…should be conceived of
as growing” (6.613) that growth ontologically escapes both conservation and
entropy.

The way he does this is to see that there are temporary violations due to
chance but that there’s then a tendency towards entropy. So it’s that
combination that he thinks will let him achieve a final state, but which
because of growth won’t be a heat death state.

Now of course none of this is terribly satisfying - especially to scientists
who tend to see the laws of entropy as ontological or absolute laws. Indeed
physicists seem quite willing to give up on most laws except thermodynamics.
It’s this reason that I personally find Peirce’s cosmology so troubling,
although I don’t think I’ve explained that before now.

I know that was all long, but I want to return to Edwina’s initial comment that
firstness is both chance and entropy. For Peirce, I’ve hopefully shown, those
are actually opposed. Firstness is what violates entropy. It is anti-entropy.