On more thing before I leave for the weekend. It seems to me that 1907’s famous
MS 318 is pretty key to all this the more I think about it. That’s partially
because he speaks of three habit-interpretants and changes how he talks of
habit somewhat. Part of the manuscript is in EP 2:398. I didn’t see it
available online anywhere. The primary focus is the pragmatic maxim, but I
think he gets at many of the issues we’re discussing.

The main focus is the relationship between the inner world and outer world in
terms of the effect of a sign.

It is to be noted that in calling a habit “self-controlled,” I do not mean that
it is in the power of the man who has it to cast it off,— to cease, in the
example just given, to try to make his decorations beautiful; for we well know
that he has no such power,— but what I mean is that it has been developed under
the process just described in which critical feelings as to the results of
inner or outer exercises stimulate to strong endeavors to repeat or to modify
those effects. I may mention that I do not recognize pleasure and pain as
specific feelings but only as being whatever feelings may stimulate efforts, in
the one case to reproduce or continue them, or, as we say, “attractive”
feelings, and in the other case to annul and avoid them, or, as we say,
“repulsive” feelings. (MS 319 EP 2.431-2, 1907)

Now Peirce is explicitly talking here of humans and not general semiosis as
we’re concerned with. So I recognize we have to be careful.

reiterations in the inner world―fancied reiterations―if well-intensified by
direct effort, produce habits, just as do reiterations in the outer world; and
these habits will have power to influence actual behaviour in the outer world;
especially, if each reiteration can be accompanied by a peculiar strong effect
that is usually likened to issuing a command to one’s future self. (MS 319: 94;
CP: 5.487, 1907)

Also
Habit. Involuntary habits are not meant, but voluntary habits, i.e., such as
are subject (in some measure to self-control). Now under what conditions is a
habit subject to self-control? Only if what has been done in one instance with
the character, its consequences, and other circumstances, can have a triadic
influence in strengthening or weakening the disposition to do the like on a new
occasion. This is as much to say that voluntary habits is conscious habit. For
what is consciousness? In the first place feeling is conscious. But what is a
feeling, such as blue, whistling, sour, rose-scented? It is nothing but a
quality, character, or predicate which involves no reference to any other
predicate or other things than the subject in which it inheres, but yet
positively is. [...] Our own feelings, if there were no memory of them for any
fraction of a second, however small, if there were no triadic time-sense to
testify with such assurance to their existence and varieties, would be equally
unknown to us. Therefore, such a quality may be utterly unlike any feeling we
are acquainted with, but it would have all that distinguish all our feelings
from everything else. In the second place, effort is conscious. It is at once a
sense of effort on the part of the being who wills and is a sense of resistance
on the part of the object upon which the effort is exerted. But these two are
one and the same consciousness. Otherwise, all that has been said of the
feeling consciousness is true of the effort consciousness; and to say that this
is veracious means less if possible than to say that a thing is whatever it may
be.

There is, then, a triadic consciousness which does not supersede the lower
order, but goes bail for them and enters bonds for their veracity.
Experiment upon inner world must teach inner nature of concepts as experiment
on outer world must teach nature of outer things.

Meaning of a general physical predicate consists in the conception of the habit
of its subject that it implies. And such must be the meaning of a psychical
predicate.

The habits must be known by experience which however exhibits singulars only.

Our minds must generalize these. How is this to be done?

The intellectual part of the lessons of experimentation consists in the
consciousness or purpose to act in certain ways (including motive) on certain
conditions. (MS 318 EP: 2.549–550, 1907)

But feeling simply is chance for Peirce as seen from the inside.