Edwina, Gary, Clark, list,

ET
I'd say that our primary experience of these natural laws is
indexical, in that we physically connect with the RESULTS of
these laws.  Intellectually analyzing them and developing
symbolic constructs - is a secondary step.

I agree with both sentences.  And I would point out that the
referent of an indexical sign may be something about which
we know very little.  For example, a finger pointing to our
destination tells us nothing about what we'll find.  Or smoke
as a sign of fire tells us very little about the fire.

The second sentence supports my point that the scientific laws
we derive from our analysis are (a) secondary and (b) fallible
approximations to whatever the real laws of nature may be.

Gary
the passage I cited from Peirce’s Harvard Lecture 4, EP2:193-4
"I reply that every scientific explanation of a natural phenomenon
is a hypothesis that there is something in nature to which the human
reason is analogous..."

Thanks for the quotation.  Peirce's word 'analogous' supports
my term 'metaphor'.  A metaphor is an analogy that uses the
terminology of one subject to explain an analogous subject.

Clark
As John suggested we can see symmetry breaking in Peirce’s terms
such that non-fundamental physical laws are the somewhat chance
created habits. Habits in matter are thirdness.

Those chance-created habits must be supported by some sign-like
things that are interpreted by some kind of quasi-minds.

An example is DNA, which is a sign-like chemical produced by
evolution.  Each cell of an organism has a quasi-mind that
interprets the DNA as a sign to produce as interpretants
other chemicals that serve as signs:  hormones, enzymes, RNA,
and more DNA.