Edwina, List:

I remain uncomfortable with calling the Representamen a "relation" and
associating it with habits, but we can set that aside for now.

My understanding of our recent agreement on terminology was that going
forward, we would always use "Sign" to refer to the (internal) *triad *of
Immediate Object, Representamen, and Immediate Interpretant; and we would
always characterize a Sign in this sense as the first correlate of a *triadic
relation* in which the Dynamic Object and Dynamic Intepretant are the other
two (external) correlates, such that every Sign *must *be determined by a
Dynamic Object, and every Sign is *capable *of determining a Dynamic
Interpretant (but might never actually do so).  Are we still on the same
page here?

My question comes up because we (or at least I) typically think of a Sign
from a logical standpoint as a *subject*, rather than a relation.  Every
Sign *has *relations, of course, both internal (Oi-R-Ii) and external
(Od-S-Id).  We also sometimes talk about "the Sign relation," usually
meaning the triadic relation of which the Sign, Dynamic Object, and Dynamic
Interpretant are the three correlates.  What I am asking now is whether
there is such a thing as a Sign that *is itself *a relation.

Thanks,

Jon S.