Jeff, Jon S, Gary F, List,

Jeff wrote: "Let's start with this question:  why is the sign (or
representamen), which is the first correlate of a thoroughly genuine
triadic relation, the simplest of the three? "

GR: The sign is simplest, is first, is a 1ns,  *because* it is a mere
possibility. Of all the forms (characters) of an object that *might* be
represented in a sign, something is "singled out," so to speak--a mere*
form  (the ground) *which *may* be represented in the way some, *this*,
sign represents it).

Jeff continues: "i) This is easiest to see in the case of the qualisign. As
a representamen, the qualisign stands for *single* reference to a ground,
where this reference is to the possession of an internal quality. "

It may be that "This is easiest to see in the case of the qualisign.' But I
don't think that this is necessarily so: *every sign* is a 1ns, for it was
a mere possibility of being represented, but now *is* represented in *ths*
paticular sign (a quali-/sin-/ or legisgin) and in the course of time (I
disagree with Jon A here--*time is essential* in semeiosis,although much
 less so in pure logic) the representamen *will* help bring us closer to
the *truth* of the sign as it is--in time--self-correcdting as semeiosis is.

Jeff continued: "ii) The second correlate, which is the relation of two
things (i.e., brute reaction), stands as *double* reference to the
correlate and ground. "
GR: The second correlate *is* the objecti, but part of it's "double
reference" is outside the sign (the DO) while the "ground" (the 'form'
abstracted from that DO) is implicated in the IO (is the IO?).

JD: "iii) The third correlate, which is has the character of
interpreting thought, stands as *triple* reference to ground, correlate and
interpretant."

GR: I'm not sure what you mean by writing this. The third correlate *is*
the interpretant; so while the DO determines the ground (IO) which
determines the Representamen (is that what you meant by "correlate"
above?), what* is **determined* (in a non-dyadic sense discussed at length
on this list) IS the Intreprentant. (What might be conceived as 'triple'
are the three kinds of Interpretants.)

Jeff continued: "If this suitably modified version of the distinction
between single, double and triple reference--or something similar--is still
part of his understanding of how signs stand in relations to objects and
interpretants, then I think it is quite apparent that the order of
complexity goes from the sign, as the simplest to the object and
interpretant as the more complex correlates."

GR: I can't say I see a "modified version" here as the Representamen IS
always a 1ns in Peirce's theory (even when it mediates between the Object
and the Interpretant), the Object IS a 2ns, and the Interprentant IS a 3ns.

Still (and given that there are 6 vectors, or possible paths, through a
triadic relation), it is the case that a 2ns (Object) can determine a 1ns
(Representament) for an Interpretant (3ns). I call this the "vector of
determination" (in Peirce's sense of semiotic determination). *But*, it
goes without saying that the representament may be any of the 10 (or, I
suppose, 660 classes of signs.

Question: Isn't this kind of analysis rather 'standard'? Or am I kidding
myself?
.

Jeff concluded: "Some (i.e., Cathy Legg and Bill McCurdy) have suggested
that Peirce has largely dropped this early and immature understanding of
single, double and triple reference by the time he is developing the
semiotic theory in his more mature writings such as NDTR. I, on the other
hand, take him at face value when he says that the essay was remarkably
prescient, and that he hasn't rejected any of he major points made in this
earlier works."

GR: I think Cathy Legg and Bill McCurdy are wrong (what is their textual
support?) and I agree with you that there are single, double, and triple
references in his semiotic theory from the get go all the way to its
maturist expression; that is, as you wrote, "that he hasn't rejected any of
he major points made in this earlier works." I guess I ought to drop my mic
here. . .

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]