Jon S, see insert below …

Gary f.

From: Jon Alan Schmidt [mailto:jonalanschm...@gmail.com]
Sent: 16-Apr-17 17:40

Gary R., List:

GR:  But surely, the most obvious thing, as Gary F reminds us, is that Peirce
always says that the Object determines the Sign for the Interpretant ...

Yes, and this is what makes CP 2.235-238 so incongruous to me.  That passage
requires the Third Correlate (Interpretant) to determine the Second Correlate
(Object), and the Second Correlate (Object) to determine the First Correlate
(Sign).

[GF: ] That “requirement” is something you have read into it, I think by
mistaking Peirce’s order of presentation for the order of determination. Try
fixing your understanding of the order of determination in your mind, and then
read the passage again carefully and test whether it is consistent with your
understanding. I think you’ll see that it is. It certainly is consistent with
the understanding I’ve expressed, which you’ve said you agree with.

It’s also possible that you’ve been distracted by Peirce’s statement that
“These three trichotomies, taken together, divide all triadic relations into
ten classes.” They would indeed, but since they are not the three trichotomies
of sign types, they would not divide signs into the same ten classes that
Peirce gives us later in NDTR.

I wonder if part of the problem here is that there are differences in what each
of us means by "determine"; again, I am using it as synonymous with "constrain
the mode of."

www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt <http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt>
- twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt <http://twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt>