Gary F., List:

Consider these two passages.

CSP:  The First Correlate is that one of the three which is regarded as of
the simplest nature, being a mere possibility if any one of the three is of
that nature, and not being a law unless all three are of that nature. The
Third Correlate is that one of the three which is regarded as of the most
complex nature, being a law if any one of the three is a law, and not being
a mere possibility unless all three are of that nature ...  (CP 2.235-236;
1903)

CSP:  It is evident that a Possible can determine nothing but a Possible;
it is equally so that a Necessitant can be determined by nothing but a
Necessitant. Hence it follows from the definition of a Sign that since the
Dynamoid Object determines the Immediate Object, which determines the Sign
itself, which determines the Destinate Interpretant, which determins the
Effective Interpretant, which determines the Explicit Interpretant, the six
trichotomies, instead of determining 729 classes of signs, as they would if
they were independent, only yield 28 classes ... (EP 2:481; 1908)

If we equate "mere possibility" with "Possible" and "law" with
"Necessitant," and define "determines" in accordance with the second
passage, then the first passage entails that the Third Correlate determines
the Second Correlate, which determines the First Correlate.  This is the
only way that the same procedure that yields 28 classes from six correlate
trichotomies will yield ten classes from three correlate trichotomies *such
that* the First Correlate is a law only if all three are laws, and the
Third Correlate is a mere possibility only if all three are mere
possibilities.  Please note, I am well aware that these are not the ten
Sign classes that Peirce spells out later in NDTR.