List, Kirsti:
> On Apr 19, 2017, at 11:51 AM, kirst...@saunalahti.fi wrote:
>
> Jerry,
> Why would any pragmatic sign (even limited to science & techology
> perspectives) be of natural kind? - Scientists and engineers do read and
> write, do they not?

Perhaps we mis-understand one another.

I wrote:

It seems to me that from either a scientific or engineering perspective:

1. Any pragmatic object is a natural sort or kind.
2. Any pragmatic object can induce dynamics as an “originator of signs” by a
range of metrologies.

So, I think I agree with your perspective.

My intent was to avoid the multiplicity of philosophical / linguistic meanings
associated with the concept of “object” / “objective".  So, by implication, a
pragmatic object has actual existence / beingness. The assignment of
purposefulness is arbitrary.

Equally important, the I sought to stress the dependency of the interpretant on
the interpreter. That is, the mental object generated by the communication
between the natural kind and the interpretive capacities of the interpreter
such that a written symbol can be generated by voluntary action.

The interpretant can be symbolically expressed only in the symbol system that
the interpreter has a competency.

Cheers

jerry